Its surprising how much a lot of us complain and never really talk about the positive things in Nigeria. An alien from outer space will think Nigeria is the worst place on earth going by the stuff written in the media, blogosphere and the many nigerian forums on the net.
It's understandable, a lot of us are very passionate about the country and find it hard to understand why Nigeria is the way it is.
So to make up for all the negativity around, here's my TOP 10 list of the positive things about Nigeria
1. Nigeria is still one entity despite the many ethnic and religious crises throughout its history. (think its not a big deal, it could be a lot worse look at similar African countries like Sudan, Somalia and the Congo).
2. The outstanding citizens the country has produced (Fela, Tai Solarin, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka etc)
3. Our national football team (i'm not into football but even i get excited when our team plays)
4. Our rich history and culture (just check out the art from Benin)
5. The community spirit still prevalent in many parts of the country.
6. The entrepreneurial spirit in Nigerians (the private sector is truly alive in the country and if the government creates the right environment, the private sector can definitely turn the country around)
7. Nollywood (yeah this is a controversial one but i still it see it as a positive)
8. The Music (from Afro beat to Juju to Apala, or is it Highlife you want we've got it)
9. The organic foods (when your taste buds have been assaulted with all kinds of artificial crap, you begin to appreciate our natural tasting foods)
10. The warmth and friendliness of most Nigerians despite the harsh economic situation.
Ok i have to admit it was hard to come up with ten but its a start and i know that it will get easier with time (we just need to get rid of the bunch of idiots that hold us back...)
Quote: “Water continually dropping will wear hard rocks hollow.” - anon
get involved by sponsoring an African child today:
April 2002 May 2002 June 2002 July 2002 August 2002 November 2002 April 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 May 2009 January 2011 February 2011 May 2011